Buying a Computer FAQs for PSU internal purchases

Tags PSU

What kind of computer should I buy?

All institutional computer purchases are standardized on Lenovo, with Macs as an option for faculty and a select number of other areas where there is a demonstrated need and prior approval from the division principal administrator. However, it is important that department heads and budget managers understand the following parameters in order to make an informed decision about which platform/model to choose.
The current PSU computer life-cycle replacement for PCs is 5 years and Macs is 6 years.
  • The Lenovo computers include a 3-year basic warranty. An additional 3-year complete care warranty to cover accidental damage and a 3-year battery replacement warranty is also included on Lenovo laptops.
  • Macintosh offers only a basic 3-year warranty and no accidental damage or extended battery warranty is available. Departments with faculty/staff members who choose a Mac must be willing to bear the cost of repair due to accidental damage, worn batteries, etc.

Should I buy a desktop or laptop computer?

Either a desktop or laptop computer is acceptable, but you should base your decision on the model that best suits your needs. Desktop models are typically less expensive, more expandable, and often more comfortable to use than laptops. On the other hand, they are designed for stationary locations, so they take up more space than a laptop.
Laptops have major advantages. They are mobile, compact, and ideal for taking advantage of the wireless internet throughout campus. Laptops, however, are vulnerable to theft and damage, more expensive to buy and repair, and have a smaller screen and keyboard than a desktop model.
If you would like to bring your computer with you into the classroom or to meetings, you might consider buying a laptop. If you prefer to work primarily in your office, you might consider purchasing a desktop model.

Computer shopping is confusing. How do I know what to buy?

Each year, ET&S establishes technology standards governing the selection and purchase of equipment for both academic and administrative departments. The current technology standards can be found on our Buying Guidelines page.

What kind of printer should I buy?

PSU has standardized networked Multi-Function Devices (MFD's) which provide printing, copying, and scanning capabilities which should be the first choice printing device. Additionally, there are a number of network laser printers already in use in various locations which should be used as a good second choice.
Purchases of individual inkjet printers are heavily discouraged due to the cost of ink and due to their disposable nature are not environmentally friendly.

Does PSU offer discounts on computers and software for employee personal purchases?

PSU does not sell computers or software for personal use; however, employees are encouraged to take advantage of our PSU contracts with Connections, Dell, and Apple computers and with e-Academy (our exclusive software vendor) who all offer educational discounts to PSU students, faculty and staff.

What about Software?

PSU has a site license for the full Microsoft Office suite which is included in the standard image installed on every institutionally owned computer.
In addition, there are many other software applications that the institution either owns a site license for or has the application available for use via the network. Therefore, all institutional software purchases (regardless of cost) must be pre-approved by Information Technology prior to purchase and/or download.
Departmental Purchasing Cards (p-cards) may not be used to purchase any software without prior approval by ET&S and the departmental P-card administrator. For auditing purposes, the p-card user will be responsible for attaching ET&S software approval documentation to their purchasing records. ET&S Desktop Support technicians may also require access to this documentation before they install the software in order to ensure that the software in being installed in accordance with the license.

How do I purchase printer toner, ink, and other technology supplies and accessories?

Departmental Purchasing Cards (p-cards) may be used to purchase computer peripheral devices and accessories priced at $250 (each) or less, such as USB thumb-drives, laptop cases, PowerPoint clickers, blank CDs, and DVDs, and printer toner/ink cartridges. The current office supply vendor has many of these items at a discounted rate.

How do I place an order?

To start the order process for employee computer purchases -- desktops, laptops, servers, networked printers, scanners, and LCD projectors -- go to the PSU Technology Help Desk Client Portal to submit your request and click on PSU Tech Orders found under Featured Services.

How does the Ordering Process Work?

The following process will be followed for all acquisitions for new technology, upgrades to existing technology, or requests for software purchase.
1. The department requester needs to go to the PSU Technology Help Desk Client Portal to submit their request and click on PSU Tech Orders found under Featured Services. 
2. A ticket is created for a consultation with the Desktop Support Team. Someone from the Desktop Support team will meet with the requester and create a quote based on the requester's needs.
3. Once the details have been worked out between the requester and IT; a request for funding confirmation will be sent to the department budget manager/Finance Service Center with a cc to the requester.
4. Upon final confirmation and budget manager/Finance Service Center approval, IT will process the order and have the equipment delivered to the Desktop Support Team who will contact the requester to arrange a time for delivery and installation of the equipment.
5. Once the equipment has been delivered and set-up, the department's FOAPAL will be charged via the Banner Finance system.

How do I pay?

All institutional computer/technology equipment purchases will be charged against the FOAPAL provided by the Department Budget Manager. An invoice showing this charge and any related expenses will be sent to the Department Budget Manager/Finance Service Center. For auditing purposes, we are not able to take payment by cash, check, or credit card.


Article ID: 2519
Fri 10/2/20 5:05 PM
Wed 1/20/21 12:19 PM
Applicable Institution(s):
Plymouth State University (PSU)